A message regarding coronavirus (COVID-19)
*Please take a minute to watch this special message from Governor Ralph Northam addressing senior living communities just like ours.
During this time of uncertainty over coronavirus (COVID-19), the health and well-being of our residents, families, and staff remains, as always, our top priority. By working together, remaining patient, and implementing the best care practices possible, we can navigate this uncertain time together, as a community.
We continue to work through the policies and procedures that we put in place previously, while evaluating this changing situation daily. We are currently following all Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and Virginia Department of Health guidelines relating to COVID-19. Due to mounting public concern, and out of an abundance of caution, we have put the following in place in our community.
Modified Visitor Policy
- No visitors will be permitted until further notice.
- Limited exceptions may be made in extreme cases or end-of-life care situations. Express approval must be given; contact our main line for further details.
- Strict and active monitoring and screening of all staff and approved individuals entering the building.
- Healthcare providers (e.g., home health staff, visiting physicians, hospice staff, etc.) will be granted access to our community after passing an entry screening process.
- No vendors will be allowed in our community unless their visit is absolutely essential.
- Enhanced and frequent environmental cleaning of frequently touched surfaces.
- Communal dining has been suspended. Meals will be delivered directly to the resident’s room.
- All group activities and special events have been canceled.
- Residents are currently isolating in their apartment.
- Friends and family members are encouraged to call their loved ones often. We believe that frequent phone calls will boost our residents’ moods as they adjust to these changes.
- Anyone who needs assistance setting up Facetime, Skype, or other type of video chat with their loved one is welcome to call and speak with our Activity Department – they would be happy to help.
- We also encourage family members, local children, churches, or community groups to send our residents mail, including cards, letters, and artwork to brighten their day! Mail to Chesterbrook Residences, attention: Activity Director, 2030 Westmoreland St., Falls Church, VA 22043.
- Team members are continuing to practice standard infection control procedures.
- Ongoing provision of information to team members and residents about proper hand hygiene practices, social distancing, standard precautions and respiratory etiquette.
- Team members are being screened, including having their temperature taken at the beginning of their shift and during their shift. Anyone with a fever or cold-like symptoms will be sent home.
- Direct care team members are changing into a clean uniform upon arrival to the community at the beginning of their shift.
- Enhanced staff training on precautions, use of personal protective equipment, and infection control practices.
- Universal use of face masks for team members. Residents have been provided with a face covering to wear when staff enter their apartments.
We know that this is a challenging time for everyone, and we thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding. We continue to evaluate our infection control process and closely monitor the mental, physical, and spiritual needs of all of our residents.
Should you have any concerns, please call our community directly.
As this situation progresses, we will continue to use this page for future updates. Stay tuned.